‘ professional ethics and human values’ is a very relevant subject of today’s environment of conflicts and stress in the profession, with obligations to be met by one person in many directions.
A formal study will certainly improve one’s ability and judgment and refine one’s behaviour, decisions, and actions in performing the duty to the family, organization, and to the society. Academicians even feel that this subject should be introduced in high school level, in place of the moral instructions.
Anna University is to be congratulated for having introduced this paper as a core subject for all the engineering students of B.E./B.Tech. As a teacher who enjoyed teaching this subject for the past two years, I ventured to write this book. This book amply covers the revised syllabus of Anna University.
Besides the codes of ethics of Indian professional societies, detailed risk analysis, crisp case studies, short-answer questions, long-answer questions with hints have been added to sustain the interest of the students. I believe the student community and the teaching fraternity will enjoy using this book. The
students may even refer this book in their professional career and development
LINK (PDF) : Book link( click here )
PROFESSIONAL ETHICS AND HUMAN VALUES 1 0 0 1 (Common to all branches)
OBJECTIVE • To create an awareness on Engineering Ethics and Human Values. • To understand social responsibility of an engineer . • To appreciate ethical dilemma while discharging duties in professional life.
1. HUMAN VALUES 02 Morals, Values and Ethics – Integrity – Work Ethic – Honesty – Courage –Empathy – Self-Confidence – Character .
2. ENGINEERING ETHICS 04 Senses of ‘Engineering Ethics’ – variety of moral issued – types of inquiry – moral dilemmas – moral autonomy – Kohlberg’s theory – Gilligan’s theory – consensus and controversy – Models of Professional Roles – theories about right action – Self-interest – customs and religion – uses of ethical theories. Valuing Time – Co-operation – Commitment –
3. ENGINEERING AS SOCIAL EXPERIMENTATION 03 Engineering as experimentation – engineers as responsible experimenters – codes of ethics – a balanced outlook on law – the challenger case study
4. SAFETY, RESPONSIBILITIES AND RIGHTS 03 Safety and risk – assessment of safety and risk – risk benefit analysis and reducing risk – the three mile island and chernobyl case studies.
5. GLOBAL ISSUES 03 Multinational corporations – Environmental ethics – computer ethics – weapons development – engineers as managers-consulting engineers-engineers as expert witnesses and advisors -moral leadership
TEXT BOOKS 1. Mike Martin and Roland Schinzinger, “Ethics in Engineering”, McGraw-Hill, New York 1996. 2. Govindarajan M, Natarajan S, Senthil Kumar V. S, “Engineering Ethics”, Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi, 2004.